Algebraic statistics, applied algebraic geometry at KTH Stockholm
I am interested in the connections between algebraic geometry and the fields of statistics, data science, and the natural sciences. I am a postdoctoral researcher in the division "Mathematics for Data and AI", working with Kathlén Kohn. [kk]
Main topics I'm working on: Algebraic statistical models, algebraic camera models.
Other topics I'm interested in: the maximum likelihood degree, algebraic sensitivity, random geometry and topology, singular learning theory, linear spaces of symmetric matrices, loss landscapes, staged trees, Bayesian networks, polynomial neural networks, the Wasserstein distance.
I co-edited a Le Matematiche special issue on linear spaces of symmetric matrices. [link] In Fall 2023 I will move to Genoa to start the two-year research project "Model Invariants in Algebraic Statistics", funded by a MSCA Postdoctoral Fellowship. [link]
Publications & Preprints
- Carlos Améndola, Lukas Gustafsson, Kathlén Kohn, Orlando Marigliano and Anna Seigal. Differential equations for gaussian statistical models with rational maximum likelihood estimator. ArXiv:2304.12054 (2023). [link, pdf]
- Arthur Bik and Orlando Marigliano. Classifying one-dimensional discrete models with maximum likelihood degree one. ArXiv:2205.09547 (2022). [link, pdf]
- Isobel Davies and Orlando Marigliano. Coloured graphical models and their symmetries. Le Matematiche 76 (2021), 501–515. [link, pdf]
- Carlos Améndola, Lukas Gustafsson, Kathlén Kohn, Orlando Marigliano and Anna Seigal. The maximum likelihood degree of linear spaces of symmetric matrices. Le Matematiche 76 (2021), 535–557. [link, pdf]
- Christiane Görgen, Manuele Leonelli and Orlando Marigliano. The curved exponential family of a staged tree. Electronic Journal of Statistics 16 (2022), 2607–2620. [link, pdf]
- Leonie Selk, Charles Tillier and Orlando Marigliano. Multivariate boundary regression models. Scandinavian Journal of Statistics 49 (2022), 400–426. [link, pdf]
- Jane Ivy Coons, Orlando Marigliano and Michael Ruddy. Maximum likelihood degree of the two-dimensional linear Gaussian covariance model. Algebraic Statistics 11 (2020), 107–123. [link, pdf]
- Carlos Guerra, Manuel Delgado Baquerizo, Eliana Duarte, Orlando Marigliano, Christiane Görgen, Fernando Maestre and Nico Eisenhauer. Global projections of the soil microbiome in the Anthropocene. Global Ecology and Biogeography 30 (2021), 987–999. [link, pdf]
- Eliana Duarte, Orlando Marigliano and Bernd Sturmfels. Discrete statistical models with rational maximum likelihood estimator. Bernoulli 27 (2021), 135–154. [link, pdf]
- Paul Breiding and Orlando Marigliano. Random points on an algebraic manifold. SIAM Journal on Mathematics of Data Science 2 (2020), 683–704. [link, pdf]
- Orlando Marigliano. Verlinde bundles of families of hypersurfaces and their jumping lines. Beiträge zur Algebra und Geometrie 60 (2019), 437–444. [link, pdf]
- The algebraic statistics of sampling, likelihood, and regression. PhD thesis. [pdf]
- Verlinde bundles of families of hypersurfaces. Master's thesis. [pdf, poster].
- Counting covers of elliptic curves. Bachelor's thesis. [pdf]
Carlos Améndola, Arthur Bik, Paul Breiding, Jane Ivy Coons, Isobel Davies, Eliana Duarte, Christiane Görgen, Carlos Guerra, Lukas Gustafsson, Kathlén Kohn, Manuele Leonelli, Leonie Selk, Anna Seigal, Bernd Sturmfels, Michael Ruddy, Charles Tillier.
2022: Commutative Algebra and Algebraic Geometry. Master's course. [notes, link]
2021: The Maximum Likelihood Degree. PhD course. [link]
2020-current: Postdoctoral researcher, Mathematics for Data and AI, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm.
2018–2020: Ph.D. student, Max Planck Institute for Mathematics in the Sciences. Advisors: Bernd Sturmfels and Christiane Görgen. [bs, cg]
2012–2018: Bachelor's and Master's student, University of Bonn. Advisor: Daniel Huybrechts. [dh]
By email: math at orlandomarigliano.com